Thursday, May 21, 2009

i have a mexican, a spanish, and an american family!

Since I wrote last I moved in with my host family. While i was looking forward to having to "rough it" a bit in mexico, i moved in with one of the richest families in the town with one of the nicest houses. I have my own private room and bathroom (which brianna was been sharing for a few days but will be going to another family soon) and there is wireless (im writing this laying in my hammock in my room) which is extremely rare in houses. The family is very very nice. There is the mom Iliana, father Gaspar, and 3 daughters, Ili who is 15, Odette who is 8 and Rosi is 5 months old. Many aunts and uncles are always spending time at the house too. There are all interested in what i do and want to give me info on everything.
It is neat to live in such a small town where basically everyone knows everyone. People knows where other people live, and people seem to be trusting. We can leave our laptops in a house without a lock on the gate, I was told to put my suitcases in a taxi that wouldnt be picking me up for another 2 hours. I am sure there are problems, but for the most part, there does not seem to be much crime.
I have been learning some of the Maya language. I can say a few things but it is a bit frustrating to learn because i do not have much of a brain for languages. it was also hard for me to start speaking spanish. it is easier for me to read something and translate it then to pick it up for conversation or conjugate orally. My spanish seems to be at a pretty good level right now. of course there are a million things i can improve on, but i can have a conversation and express most of what i want to say. I am going to have a private spanish lesson in a few hours. I am definitely enjoying the anthropology classes. My brain works a lto better in that abstract way. It is interesting to see other peoples upbrings in anthro. I am very very happy with my upbringing in anthro so far. I need to think more about what i want to focus my research on. hopefully i can make some progress in that later.
Some people in the group are having stomach problems, hopefully I will not get sick. it is definitely very hot here but the mornings and evenings are nice. the last few days it has not rained and has not been humid, so the dry heat is definitely easier to handle than the humidity.
I am going to nap in my hammock for a little before doing some more work.
Hecho de menos todo!
(the 1st pic is me and lindsey trying out what would become my hammock!, the second is the group in the house we bought the hammocks)

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sarah

    I am so happy that you are with a decent family and a nice home.The house sounds so different from what we expected.I am also glad that you are enjoying your classes and are speaking spanish.It sounds like you are facing alot of challenges.I am happy that you are sleepingokay.A bed will feel very different on your return.How ironic considering how often you wanted a hammock.I amlooking forward to the weekend.Dad is isnt working so we will share some down time.It was very hot today.As usual we are skipping spring.Say hello to your family and thank them from be.It is always a relief to know that you are taken care of.I enjoy learning about your experieces,how do i get to the pictures?Love and kissesMom

    ReplyDelete