Friday, June 19, 2009

spending time with recovering alcoholics

Hola amigos!
I have been hard at work on my project. So far Ive gone to a bunch of Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, made some great contacts, had a few interviews. This afternoon I am going to the jail with a big group of the members because there is an AA group there. I am not exactly sure what we will be doing but I think it will be a great experience. Fieldwork is hard work, and I am realizing how much harder it is when people cannot totally understand you and you cannot totally understand others. The language barrier is a bit frustrating, especially during the interviews but I am doing the best that I can.
Last sunday I was very sick. I had a stomach thing like Ive never had a stomach thing. It took a bit of time to feel good but now I am pretty much 100%.
Yesterday the family and I all woke up by 430am and went to Merida for my little sisters Baptism. it happened after the mass. it was a nice ceremony from what I can tell. Rodrigo took Justin and I to the governmental palace near the church to see a beautiful art display of Yucatecan artists.
Time for an interview! This day is quite tiring!
i will write more later

2 comments:

  1. dear Sarah

    I am glad that you are feeling better.I guess that you can add illness to your memory book.It sounds like you are really expanding yourself.The language issue must be difficult.As long as you are trying,I am sure that you must be gaining alot.Even the fact that so many people have welcomed you is awesome.All is well.sun is dad day.Hope that dad enjoys it.Your pictures were great.cant wait to see more and to see you.love always madre

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the best in the whole entire world!!! I miss you. Come home soon. Don't underestimate how your smile beats all language barriers.

    ReplyDelete